Do you need a second opinion on your diagnosis? Here’s how.
Being diagnosed with a serious condition can be confusing and stressful. It can be difficult to understand the diagnosis, treatment plan and risks. That’s why getting a second opinion can be a really valuable tool – not only to help you understand your doctor’s diagnosis or treatment but also to explore other options and viewpoints.
Do you need a second opinion?
According to the Society to Improve Diagnostics in Medicine (SIDM), one in ten people with a severe medical condition are initially misdiagnosed. Three-quarters of misdiagnosed cases occur with conditions like cancer, vascular diseases and infections. But misdiagnosis isn’t the only reason to seek a second opinion. Some commons reasons for exploring a second opinion are:
- If you have been undergoinging treatment but your symptoms continue
- If you have been diagnosed with a rare or life-changing disease
- Or if the proposed treatment is risky or involves surgery
You might feel reassured by hearing confirmation of the diagnosis, hearing about alternative treatments or in some cases, receiving another diagnosis.
How to get a second opinion?
As part of our expanding service range, HealthHero is offering a Second Medical Opinion Service. This service gives you direct access to a specialist consultant to discuss your diagnosis, treatment and options. You can speak directly to an expert clinician, which will provide the opportunity to ask questions like:
- What is your expert opinion on my diagnosis?
- Can I discuss my proposed treatment?
- Is there more information about my condition?
- Are there any alternative treatment options?
Who can give a second opinion?
You can ask your GP to arrange a second opinion either from a specialist or another GP. However, your GP does not have to do this if they do not think it is necessary. That’s why you may want to seek out a private second opinion – and in this case, HealthHero can help.
HealthHero works with an extensive network of clinical specialists across the UK. This means experts, particularly in cancer care, cardiology and orthopaedics, are available to provide patients with more clarity regarding treatment options and diagnosis.
To help you to get a second opinion, we offer the following services:
- A dedicated team to answer calls and queries
- Response within 24 hours* to requests for assistance
- A detailed assessment of your requirements to ensure we identify the most appropriate specialist for your needs
- Access to an extensive database and fee schedules (enabling us to advise on estimated costs for treatment and ensuring we select specialists that charge appropriate fees for their expertise)
- Regular updates and communication from our team to ensure you always stay up to date
- Face to face or video consultations with a specialist
- “Desktop” second medical opinion where appropriate – recommendations for treatment or clinical trials can be requested from the specialist
- Treatment-only sourcing solutions – offering advice and guidance on providers in a location of patient choice
- Safe transfer of medical documentation, allowing the specialist to have a full view of the case in order to avoid unnecessary duplication of diagnostic investigations
How does the second opinion service at HealthHero work?
Following a conversation with a HealthHero GP, you’ll be referred to our health concierge team who will identify the most appropriate Consultant Specialist(s) from our UK database. You can then choose which Consultant they would like to see for a face-to-face appointment. Telephone appointments are available too.
We will arrange, manage and coordinate with the patient with you to access your medical information and then provide the safe and secure transfer of this information to the Consultant Specialist. After the consultation, the Consultant’s medical report will be sent securely to the patient and their NHS GP.
*We will respond to a patient request for assistance with an initial email within 24 hours of receipt providing requests received before 16.00 on a working day
Interested in getting a second opinion? Talk to our team about our services today.